Friday, July 30, 2010

Life in the Campo (Rambla style)




Have you heard the one about a Bolivian, an Argentinian, a Romanian and an Englishman, well they all got together to form my creative building team. They also seem to have a bit of Trojan in them as they work like proverbial donkeys as I frantically try to capture their progress on the camera. What I've found is if I leave them for a few hours I come back to find them forging ahead either plastering, putting a door in here and there or recently I came back to find a room competely tiled in my absence. A nice problem after my last multi delayed project in Fes which ultimately took a year to finish. With the cortijo we are less than three weeks into the job and already we have broken the back of it. The new lounge has a new beamed roof and glorious old style roof tiles (as in picture), it is fully plastered wth an archway built leading down the stairs to the kitchen and old style granny pantry. The old doors that I bought in Vejer, and labouriously stripped on the terrace are now being framed ready to be put in place as the main lounge doors leading to the rockfaced patio.
Dave has been busy and thorough evaluating the whole electrical system and rewiring behind Daniel and his crew, whilst also buying the kitchen cabinets and setting out the layout with the cooker, and wash machine and double belfast sink. He very rapidly plumbed and wired in the kitchen so it is now operationable. He talked me out of buying the granite work tops which at 100 euros linear metre would end up costing 750 euros!! Instead I ended up buying granite laminate at 48 euros for 3.6 metre board so for whole kitchen worktop the cost was just over 100 euros a saving of over 600 euros. Thanks Dave. So all I need to do now is choose kitchen doors and kitchen is complete.


No comments:

Post a Comment